Rally started pre-labor at 11:35pm on December 6, everything seemed to progressing normally and at 1:30am she had her first contractions. By 2:30am we were beginning to get worried when she did not have the first puppy since she had whelped quickly and easily for her first litter. At 3:00am we called the UC Davis Emergency Clinic and told them we thought there was a problem. They asked us to wait 30 more minutes and then if no puppy was born then call back. At 3:30am there was still no puppy, we were instructed to bring her in. Once we were there, they did a physical exam and got her in for x-rays. The x-rays should that the first puppy was mispositioned and could not enter the birth canal. They tried to reposition the puppy with no luck. They did an ultrasound to check on the status of the puppies, 2 had healthy heartbeats, 1 was in distress, and 1 could not be located. We agreed that a C-section was the best option for Rally and the pups. They began calling in the surgical team at 4:45am. Rally was mostly prepped by by 5:45am and the surgeon wanted to begin the procedure by 6:15am. They have sent us home to wait and get everything ready for the pups. We will hopefully hear about the condition of the pups in the next hour and everyone should be ready to come home by noon. Sam and I are a nervous wreck and it is difficult to keep busy while waiting for news.
Posted by kineticbasenjis
at 6:22 AM PST